Since 1887 there has been a hotel where Central Station Hotel currently stands. The first hotel was named the Australian Hotel, and was on what was known then as Wexford Street (now Wentworth Avenue). Since then the area has undergone huge changes.
The building has historical significance given the importance of its association with the evolving pattern of our cultural history. Our distinctive façade of brick and rendered stucco make us a landmark building on the approach to Sydney’s Central Railway Station.
Here is a brief history of our popular Sydney suburb, and the evolution of the Central Station Hotel.
Surry Hills hasn’t always been the thriving urban hub it is today. Back in 1902 it was an overcrowded slum (more than 30% of Sydney’s houses were found in this one suburb). The area had poor drainage and sanitation, and the houses were damp, poorly ventilated and badly built.
Back in 1906, our building was owned by Fong Lee Jang and Co, a general merchants, with a shop by the name of ‘Rugg’ just next door.
A major slum clearance (land resumption program) took place between 1908-1910 with the goal of providing ’safe and seemly access‘ to the new Central Railway Station, opened in 1908. A number of multi-storey buildings were created, completely changing the nature of this Sydney suburb (and creating a new wide boulevard called Wentworth Avenue).
A Sydney City archive lists our property as being owned by the City Council in 1911.
From 1911 the building and land the Central Station Hotel now stands on changed hands many times. Here’s a timeline of the major milestones.
After this time, one of the buildings appears to have been used as a boarding house until the early 1980s, when the hotel was expanded into the warehouse and numerous alterations were made to both buildings. The warehouse floors were partitioned into bedrooms, and the two buildings were connected at all levels.
Furnished Property took over the hotel in February 2012.
We’ve preserved many heritage Federation features including:
The building also includes some original stair details, including simply carved timber posts, skirting and balustrades.
The windows are double hung, and retain their original sills. And the original timber is still used in the oval windows.
Since taking management of the property, the Furnished Property Group has undertaken conservation works that include:
We’re committed to maintaining this precious Sydney landmark for future generations.
Got a question?
If you have a question, or would like to make a booking, email or call our friendly reception team on 02 8488 9677